Obx Swim Academy offers three levels of swim lessons to help swimmers become more competent and safe in the water – beginner, intermediate and advanced. It will not be uncommon for participants to repeat these levels until skills are mastered. Instructors also offer private and adult lessons upon request.
Beginner: The objective at this level is for students to become comfortable and enjoy the water safely. Students will learn the following skills:
- Enter and exit the water safely.
- Submerge face, exhale and open eyes under water. Blow bubbles and bob.
- Roll over from front to back and back to front with support as well as explore floating on the front and back.
- Explore swimming on front, back and side using arm and leg actions with support.
- Explore front and back glides.
Intermediate: The objective of this level is for students to begin to learn the fundamentals of strokes and refine skills from the previous level. Students will focus on the following skills:
- Refinement of their front and back floats and glides as well as learn to change direction.
- Treading water
- Rotary breathing
- Changing from horizontal to vertical position on front and back
- Begin to learn fundaments of the front and back crawl and butterfly-kick with body motion
Advanced: The objective of this level is to develop confidence in the strokes learned and improve other aquatic skills. Students will learn the following skills:
- A standing dive and feet-first surface dive
- Swimming underwater
- Open turns on front and back
- Treading water for longer periods
- Front and back crawl, breast stroke, butterfly and elementary backstroke
All morning sessions Offered
Weeks of June 19-23, June 26-30, July 10-14, July 17-21, July 24-28
Lessons run for 45 minutes Monday-Thursday, Fridays are reserved as a make-up day. Lesson times scheduled between 9:00-Noon
All evening Sessions Offered
Weeks of June 12-16, June 26-30, July 10-14, July 17-21
Lessons run for 45 minutes Monday-Thursday, Fridays are reserved as a make-up day. Lesson times scheduled between 4:30-6:30
Session 1 June 12-June 30, Session 2 July 10-July 28
Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday Morning participants will swim laps, set goals, become stronger, and gain confidence through this 1 ½ hour practice. Participants must have base knowledge of all the strokes Freestyle, Breastroke, Backstroke, and Butterfly. Proficiency of stokes is not necessary as we will work on stroke development. Participants Must be able to swim 25 yards without stopping. In addition to getting better, stronger, faster, we will also have some fun!